Monday, December 31, 2012

Pantry Challenge


More info here - Good Cheap Eats Pantry Challenge



Ok - here it goes! I am joining the pantry challenge in January. This is going to be a bit tricky because we have already been eating down the items in our freezer. I do have some meat in there, but I will also need to buy some to make it through the month. However, items in the pantry cupboards are bursting at the seams, so we should be good with the accoutrements for the meals. We also need to buy fresh items as we need to eat healthier, such as lettuce, tomatoes vegetable produce in general. We bought a case of fresh fruit right before Christmas, so that should be fine, we will just need fresh vegetables for salads. Also, I went light on couponing the last couple of months as we had quite the stockpile of health and beauty aids. We are on our last bottles of shampoo and conditioner so some HBA items will needs replenished. I can't see stockpiling hundreds of items as seen on extreme couponing (what a waste) so I take a couple of breaks a year.

I am setting a cash budget of $400 for the month for this famiy of 4. That will basically be for milk, vegetables some meat and actually includes working on the HBA stockpile, not just food. It also includes cat food and cat litter! I will withdraw $100 per week and any remaining money (ha) will be added to the cash jar for Disney this summer. (Every 6 or 8 weeks this money is deposited and transferred to an ING account earmarked for Disney).

We have a huge upright freezer in our garage which is about 75% empty right now. Doing this challenge will pretty much empty it heading into February. At that point I will reassess a budget amount for February. In Feb. I will start back on freezer cooking and filling the freezer with new items, all on sale of course! Yesterday I made a 20lb. turkey from the freezer in anticipation of doing ths. We should be able to eat from the leftovers for several days. I still have 1 more 20 lb turkey in the freezer, but I doubt I will make it before the end of January. You can only eat so much turkey in a month.

Wish me luck. This isn't going to be easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment