Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving Thoughts...

I am thankful for -
*My husband who works very hard and is extremely dedicated to his family.
*My 2 teenage sons that would rather spend time at home with family than run wild.
*My spouse and I each having a solid job.
*Debt freedom
*The fact that my family appreciates the minimalist lifestyle.
*Our Disney vacation that has become an annual event over the past few years.
*Health

Other thoughts -
The frugal lifestyle is natural for us as my husband I have never desired to own many material things.  My kids have learned to appreciate this way of life.  They realize that they are trading owning material objects in exchange for family experiences like great family vacations and lots of time spent together.  They still have some brand name clothes but they are bought half off with coupons on top of that and often with gift cards that I purchase in drug stores with perks like up rewards.  We have a moderately nice house somewhat in the country but we drive 2 older cars and don't own things like 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, swimming pools, etc.  I am a teacher so I have been able to take a van load of kids to nearby lakes and water holes to swim.  We meet up with other mothers that also bring loads of kids.  I am not knocking owning a pool but these are some of the most memorable experiences my boys have of their summers off from school. 
I had 2 younger siblings that both died at a very young age from Friedreich's Ataxia and that experience taught me to appreciate everything that I have.  I miss them terribly but I find solace in the fact that I will see them sometime again in the future. 

Cheryl Crow - put it perfectly years ago -"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got."

No comments:

Post a Comment