Thursday, January 2, 2014

No Spend Day 2 and Potato Cakes

Today was my second no spend day for the month.  We are in a deep freeze here in NW PA so it is pretty easy to stay in and not spend $.  Some bloggers think the no spend days or weeks are a good and idea and some bloggers think it is silly.  I can logically see both sides of the argument.  I think it depends on how it is done.
You can plan no spend days or weeks and stock up before and/or after and the no spend event becomes a pointless wash.  OR you can make do with what you have and actually save some money.  Sluggy thinks it is our habits that we need to change and I completely agree with that.  I think that no spend time periods help to reinforce frugal skills and in turn give us better habits.  For example, I had leftover mashed potatoes in my fridge.  Sometimes that leftover gets made into something in my house and sometimes leftover mashed potatoes end up getting tossed.  That is a very bad habit on my part.  However, the no spend challenge forced me to think outside of the box when cooking dinner and they were made into very tasty potato cakes.  So Sluggy is right, my habits need to change.  I also feel that I am right in that the no spend day quota that I have set for myself helps me foster new, better habits.
Another bad habit of mine is picking up extra stuff when I am in the store.  We would all agree, that is a habit that needs changed.  I say, the more no spend days I have, the more I stay out of the store.  The more days I stay out of the store, the less crap I throw into my cart.

Potato Cakes - makes an excellent side dish!

left over mashed potatoes
1 egg
Italian bread crumbs (or dried bread crumbs of your own and Italian seasoning)
Salt Pepper
Parmesan cheese (optional but YUMMY)

Mix everything but the cheese together in a bowl.  Heat oil (maybe 2 or 3 Tbsp.) in a large skillet.  Drop balls of mixure (about 1/2 cup) into hot oil in pan.  Gently press with spatula and sprinkle with some parm.  Let brown.  Turn and gently press into patty shapes (about the size of a decent burger) and brown.  Yummy, yummy, yummy.  The bread crumbs help to give you a crispy result.

By the way...  Sluggy is one of my favorite frugal bloggers along with Carla.  I have learned so much from both of them!

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you on both counts. :-) Really focusing on not spending helps me learn new skills & habits that I wouldn't have thought of if I stuck to my normal plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for the blog love D. Groove. 8-)
    I don't think these no-spend months are silly. They can be a useful tool IF you have a spending habit and it keeps you from stepping foot into a store, then great! The less you put yourself in a situation where you will spend the better.
    But usually it takes more than a month to change a behavior long term so I don't seem these fasts as a solution to that problem.

    The way I keep from pitching perfectly good leftovers is to visual it as dollar bills getting throw into the garbage. EGADS! I can't do that....lolz

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband loves potato patties with leftovers but our leftovers usually end up being eaten in the same way... Will have to keep this in mind for next time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to freeze leftover, mashed potatoes and consider them "frozen assets" when it comes time to make a sheppard's pie, as the potatoes are premade for me! I also sometimes make potato cakes, but use egg, sometimes grated Cheddar, but always scallions. YUM! Mashed potatoes can also be used to make fish cakes or to thicken a soup.
    HTH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, we love potato cakes here. Great way to use up leftovers. :)

    ReplyDelete