Friday, January 3, 2014

Round 2 of the Flu - Bleh!

So 8 short days after our first bout with the flu, I seem to have come down with it again.  I didn't even know that could happen!  My mother-in-law invited us in for fried fish and I had to pass.  I am thankful that the rest of the family had yummy food without me having to think about cooking!  I started with 2 no spend days, but today I did spend money.  $7.50 for 2 gallons of milk.  Do you think that is high ($3.75 each)?  We have a state minimum price for milk here in PA.  My in-laws made a trip to Sam's club (about 70 minutes away).  I won't be going there any time soon, so I had them pick us up a few things.  I am not sure of the exact actual price, but my husband gave them $30 when he picked the items up.  A cool thirty bucks bought us 1 jar of beef base, 1 jar of chicken base, 1 large container of ranch dressing mix, 1 large container of taco seasoning and 1 jumbo box of frozen egg rolls (a favorite snack around here).  I know there are recipes for dry powder seasonings online, but I don't think they can be made for less.  $37.50 of my $250 spent for the month and it is only the 3rd.  That is kind of scary.  The whole point was to eat what we have and the $250 was for staples and loss leaders and that is what I spent it on.  We will see how it goes.
We did have lasagna one day this week.  Instead of 3 total pans, I managed to make 4 9x13 pans and 1 small square.  This gave us 1 lasagna for supper and 3 and a half for the freezer.  I am very happy that is done.  When I turned on my label maker to mark them I saw that last time I made lasagna was 8-15-13.  That means I only have to do it to this scale 2 or 3 times per year.  I know that is a lot of lasagna, but my kids love it and it is so easy when I am feeling lazy.  I wanted to cook our huge turkey tomorrow to free up space in the freezer but no one is interested, so I will pull something else from the plan for the month.  I really want to make it through this week with very little spent so I can save the rest.  Hopefully it will go as planned.
I will be spending on Sunday.  I will pick up a few newspapers, a prescription and some produce.  There will be 6 inserts this Sunday so I think there will be good deals to be had over the next few weeks with those coupons.  Hopefully tomorrow will be my 3rd no spend day for the month.

1 comment:

  1. I've been cleaning out my freezer too so I can save money and get it ready for the spring gardens. Hope you guys feel better soon!
    JanelleS
    http://www.parsnipsandparsimony.com/2014/01/2014-freezer-clean-out-4-week-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete