Sunday, February 23, 2014

Dear Sam's Club, I'm Breaking Up With You


Every time I see you, you pressure me.  I don't like to be pressured.  I live 1 hr and 10 min from your closest location, so I don't get to see you often.  I live in the snow belt and my trips to see you might only be a few per year.  When I am there, I stock up.  Sometimes I drive the distance just to see you even when I don't have other commitments in the area.  I have tried to keep up my end of this long term relationship, but every time I see you, you just try to take everything you can from me.
Please don't pressure me into buying your plus membership when I am ringing up my current purchases and opening my wallet to give you my hard earned cash.  If you care about me, please accept my answer of no graciously and drop the subject.  When I try to explain that I have been done this road before and it didn't work out for me, don't tell me all the reasons that you are right and I am wrong.  When I tell you that I was made to open a credit account and was told the plus membership wouldn't auto renew, but it did anyway, please don't tell me that it won't happen again.  I fell for that a second time a few years later and it did auto bill to my account a second time.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  Both times, I had to drive 1 hr and 10 minutes to your closest store to resolve the issue and have the plus membership charge removed.
The last time I saw you a few months ago, one of your young trainees tried to dupe me again.  He was very persistent.  It was obvious that he had been well trained in the area of upselling.  Poor guy, it was like he was under tremendous pressure too.  I understand the art of upselling.  I also understand the customer/retailer relationship.  I have never really caved to pressure.  It is a huge turnoff for me.  It always has been.  As a result, I let my membership lapse this month.  I enjoyed what you had to offer me.  Unfortunately, the good doesn't outweigh the bad.  Sam's Club, I am breaking up with you.  It is over for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment