Friday, January 1, 2016

No Year Long Resolutions for this Girl!





Okay, so I stink at New Year's Resolutions and as a result, I no longer make them.  Call me crazy, but I hate to fail and it is too easy to quit something that is a year long.






Instead, I am making January plans, that are easier to achieve.  I hope to meet these goals with days to spare so I can rest on my laurels and be calm at the end of the month instead of scrambling to finish a list of goals that is a mile long.



So here it goes - Goals for January of 2016:

1.  Get rid of 200 items from my house.  
2.  Lose 7 pounds
3.  Sew 3 items
4.  10 no spend days
5.  Clear my desk of the mountain of paperwork that built up over
the holidays.
6.  Clean out junk drawers!
7.  Revamp my plan to teach all eligible content to a greater depth of knowledge
 before the state tests.


     Getting rid of 200 items should be easy enough even though 2014 was the year of the purge for us.  The items pile back into the house easier than we realize so it should not be hard to find 200+ items that have accumulated over the past year.  I already started when we put away Christmas decorations.  I bet that gives me at least 25 items easily.
     I joined weight watchers at the end of October and lost 10 pounds even with the holidays.  It shouldn't be hard to kick it in and lose 7 pounds in January now that all of the holiday treats are gone.  I didn't even make the goal 2 pounds a week.  I think it is better to set a small goal and actually achieve it!
     I need to make 2 lunch bags in short order because I lost one of mine and my niece would like one.  Throw in 1 other thing and this goal will be done.  Numbers 4, 5 and 6 need no further explanation.
    The last goal will be the hardest to accomplish because it is going to take a great deal of thought and planning, so I begin with that goal today.  I teach 6th grade math and have always had great results with the kids on the state test... until last year with the new common core standards.  I want to mix up what I am doing and how I intend to get better results this year.  The results for the entire state of Pennsylvania were a fiasco last year with over 60% of the kids failing the 6th grade math test last year.  Still, that doesn't make me feel any better so I need to mix it up and push myself harder.  I am not sure that all of the standards set forth are developmentally appropriate for the age group I am teaching but I still always give it my best effort to make the kids understand.  I spent the first part of the year laying the groundwork and now I need to find a better solution for depth of knowledge problems.  I absolutely love working with kids but it is no wonder college students are scared away from teaching as a career and are picking other paths.  Hopefully the tide will turn soon.



My real goal is to knock all of these out sooner rather than later.  Stay tuned to see how that works out.  Happy New Year everyone!





1 comment:

  1. I think part of the problem with newly minted teachers in PA is less college students are choosing to persue that path because there are Less to NO teaching jobs in this state available to them. The population in PA is aging and/or shrinking and current teachers are not retiring in large enough numbers for new teachers to get jobs here. My son tried actively to get a teaching job for 2 Years in PA to no avail. And he had top notch qualifications.

    Good luck with your January goals. I haven't even recapped my December goals yet so no point in forging ahead with Jan. ones. lolz All in good time.....

    ReplyDelete