Monday, March 3, 2014
I would just love to give a shout out to all the great bloggers out there! I think we are always learning and moving forward, but I want you to know how much you inspire me.
I am usually terrible about updating my blog with how my challenges turned out, but I do 90% of what I set out to do because of all of you! When I think back over some of what I have completed because of the kick in the pants and inspiration many of you have given me, I am amazed. I would have gotten around to some of this eventually, but I am much more organized and with it because of all of you!
Some things that I can think of right off the top of my head....
1. We finally created a will and assigned legal guardians in case of our untimely demise about 3 years ago. My kids were both already in middle school at that time. Who knows if I would have ever completed it otherwise.
2. We purchased term life insurance to supplement work policies and policies that we had from childhood.
3. I menu plan.
4. I finally opened a Roth Ira last year. We have been saving for retirement since our 20's but neither of us did it through a Roth.
5. I got my couponing groove back.
6. I bought a sewing machine about 4 years ago and taught myself to sew using youtube videos. I just wanted to be able to make the cool stuff that I was seeing all over the Internet.
7. I continue to sew mostly because of following Carla. Her creations are GORGEOUS and really inspire me to continue creating.
8. I save $$$$$ for the future because of MANY of you. I was always a saver, I am just much better now.
9. I am much more creative in my cooking because of CT Mom. Wow can that woman stretch a food dollar while making a wide variety of yummy food for her family!
10. I decluttered my house majorly about 3 years ago. I had so much junk at the curb that people inquired about whether or not our house was for sale! My house didn't even really look bad. We have several walk in closets and we simply had useless stuff in every nook and cranny! Some junk has crept back in, so this can be an ongoing process.
11. I have redone my porch.
12. I saved my mismatched kitchen table instead of buying a new one.
13. We became COMPLETELY DEBT FREE including our mortgage. Hopefully we can stay that way.
14. I have donated money and things to a greater extent than I would have without being inspired by all of you. I have always given, but I have stepped it up.
Some of my absolute favorite blogs/bloggers:
My Half Dozen Daily
The Simple Dollar
Midlife Mom Musings
Frugal and Thankful
Nova Frugal Family - fairly new to me
The Ripples Affect - a really new blog
Sunday, February 23, 2014
Every time I see you, you pressure me. I don't like to be pressured. I live 1 hr and 10 min from your closest location, so I don't get to see you often. I live in the snow belt and my trips to see you might only be a few per year. When I am there, I stock up. Sometimes I drive the distance just to see you even when I don't have other commitments in the area. I have tried to keep up my end of this long term relationship, but every time I see you, you just try to take everything you can from me.
Please don't pressure me into buying your plus membership when I am ringing up my current purchases and opening my wallet to give you my hard earned cash. If you care about me, please accept my answer of no graciously and drop the subject. When I try to explain that I have been done this road before and it didn't work out for me, don't tell me all the reasons that you are right and I am wrong. When I tell you that I was made to open a credit account and was told the plus membership wouldn't auto renew, but it did anyway, please don't tell me that it won't happen again. I fell for that a second time a few years later and it did auto bill to my account a second time. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Both times, I had to drive 1 hr and 10 minutes to your closest store to resolve the issue and have the plus membership charge removed.
The last time I saw you a few months ago, one of your young trainees tried to dupe me again. He was very persistent. It was obvious that he had been well trained in the area of upselling. Poor guy, it was like he was under tremendous pressure too. I understand the art of upselling. I also understand the customer/retailer relationship. I have never really caved to pressure. It is a huge turnoff for me. It always has been. As a result, I let my membership lapse this month. I enjoyed what you had to offer me. Unfortunately, the good doesn't outweigh the bad. Sam's Club, I am breaking up with you. It is over for good.
We have a deadline of 8 am on Mondays, but this is one thing that I can't put off until the least minute. The state of PA changed our formula sheet that the kids get for the math test with only a month to go before the tests. It also seems as though it will contain a great deal of new content as we move toward the common core. We were originally told that the test would be almost all of the former content as we are not to be fully transitioned to common core until next year. It looks as though they are not holding up their end of the deal. Imagine training your whole life for down hill skiing and making it to the Olympics for skiing... BUT 3 weeks before the Olympics you are told you will be a figure skater and not a skier. The whole thing is so frustrating!
Sunday, February 9, 2014
|Chicken Spinach Lasagna|
My other flop for the day was a potholder I was making. I didn't take a picture before I threw it in the trash. Maybe I have just lost my groove today! On to the menu for the week...
Sunday - Chicken Spinach Lasagna - I also threw in a 9x9 pan of regular lasagna from the freezer in case the recipe was a disaster. I am glad I planned for that possibility.
Monday - leftover wedding soup from Friday, leftover Italian lasagna (the chicken spinach lasagna went home with the only person that claimed to like it)!
Tuesday - spicy cheeseburger soup
Wednesday - tacos
Thursday - spaghetti with meat sauce
Friday - omelets, bacon and toast
Saturday - cheesy bacon and ham chowder with corn
I need to buy 1 large tomato, lettuce, 1 cucumber, 1 jalpeno, hard taco shells, and taco sauce to complete these meals. I will batch cook the hamburger on Monday for the next 3 days and I will make extra bacon on Friday for Saturday's soup.