Sunday, January 13, 2013

Don't Call Me Betsy Lucky Stars BOM

So I think I did ok for my first attempt at paper piecing a quilt block.  This is the practice block that was sent out at the end of December for the Lucky Stars BOM club by Betsy.  There was a lot of matching up to do in the center and I only had to rip it apart once to make it work.  I did have to make an extra unit with the aqua and dark brown because one of mine was backwards. 
 
The block above is the January block.  It went together faster because it only has 4 main pieces instead of 8.  I was not careful when cutting and cut too much so I had to make one of the 4 over.  The dark purple in the upper left hand corner does not come to a good point because it folded weird.  It is really bugging me, so I might rip it apart and make that fourth over.  I have to look at it again because it might get covered up by the 1/4 inch seam allowance when I sew it to the next block.  I have time to ponder that before I decide what to do. 
All in all I am quite pleased with how the 2 blocks turned out.  I really wasn't sure if I could do it.  I don't want to say it didn't take some skill, but I really think it was more about patience.  I worked on these about 4 hours today and already had about an hour into the top block.  That seems like way too long, but maybe I will get better and quicker with each block I do.  Thank you to Don't Call Me Betsy for giving me the kick in the pants I needed to try paper piecing.  It was only $10 to sign up (I think it is $15 now), and well worth it to stretch beyond my comfort zone.
UPDATE - I just realized one section has the 2 purple sections BACKWARDS!  UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

24 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt blocks! Well done!

    Just stopped by to let you know that I featured your Swedish flag quilt on my round tuit post this week!
    Round Tuit 136
    Thanks again for linking up! Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very pretty! Even if it the purple is backwards! I don't have the patience to quilt, so I sit back and admire others with the talent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really pretty!!! Thanks for linking up to the weekly creative :)

    Shannon @ Sewing Barefoot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute blocks! I am doing this BOM but haven't started my blocks yet... Visiting from Plum and June.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are really beautiful and very striking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great so far. I've signed up for this BOM, but haven't had a chance to start yet. Seeing all these great blocks, makes me want to jump right in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just use your creative license and believe that the purples were supposed to be exactly where they are - it looks great to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They both look great! I love paper piecing! I do think it gets easier eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so neat!

    www.prayersformymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful blocks! I'm featuring the Lucky Stars BOM on my blog today, too. It's a popular group, and no wonder - they are gorgeous blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WoW! ThEy are beautiful !! Ive never made a quilt but this is very inspirational & complicated stuff!! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so beautiful! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great, I can't quilt, I can look at an Academy Award dress cut the pattern and duplicate it, but I can't quilt. I admire anyone who can.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How nice to find another blog that
    quilts and sews.. I'm always doing
    such needle work when I find the time
    and I need to come back through your
    archives..
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look great and I wouldn't change the purple block at all. In the grand scheme of things, no one will notice. Sometime I write in the colors on the paper before I start sewing. If I don't, I end up frustrated! Thanks for linking up with Sew Cute Tuesday:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your paper piecing....I've just been doing the Civil War Love Letters quilt and it's all paper piecing, I have ot admit I'm hooked now :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, popped over from 'Show MWY Got'. Love anything paper piecing and your blocks are great. You do get faster and I colour in my paper sheet to keep track of my colour choices in the right places. Good to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so lovely!

    Hopping by and following your lovely blog's GFC. I blog @ Getting Healthy with Essential Oils

    I am also inviting you to join Tiddle Diddle Handmade Shoppe's first giveaway event.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. It's beautiful. Thanks for linking at Anything Goes at Eye Heart Monday's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my word! That's gorgeous!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality! I can't wait to see what you link up tomorrow evening!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks tough. Well done! I've made quilt blocks before, but never paper pieced. Don't you love it? It's been awhile... I miss the creative high I felt piecing, and especially the joy of running my hands over the finished block. Lynaea @ EverydayBloom.com

    ReplyDelete